THIRTEENTH COLOMBIAN FILM INDUSTRY BULLETIN
A project designed by Fedesarrollo for Proimágenes
1. Evolution of Colombian Film Market
- In 2017, the number of tickets sold increased by 1.91% compared to 2016, for a total of 62.611.454
- Throughout 2017, the rate of attendance (ticket sales / inhabitants) was 1.27%.
- Theater attendance in 2017 was the highest in 10 years. Since 2015, the number of ticket sales in the first half of the year has been greater than in the second half.
- The box office in 2017 was COP 13,987,013,584 above box office sales as recorded for 2016, which represents a 2.63% increase. The value in USD for the 2017 box office is $182,224,030.
- In 2017, 314 films were released in theaters.
- In 2017, 44 Colombian films were released, three more than in 2016.
- In 2017, 14.01% of the films released were Colombian.
- In 2017, 80 new movie theaters were inaugurated for a total of 1.083 film screens.
- In 2017, attendance at movie theaters had an increase in Bogotá, Medellín, and the other cities analyzed. Cali, Bucaramanga, and Barranquilla, on the other hand, did not see rises in number of tickets sold.
- Barranquilla had a 18.1% reduction in attendance between 2017 (2,236,030) and 2016 (2,732,683).
- Other cities in Colombia achieved a total attendance of 25,475,747 in 2017, an increase of 6.12%.
- Out of the five major cities, Medellín had the largest increase in attendance, surpassing the 5,353,626 tickets sold in 2016 by 4.82% to reach 5,611,796 in 2017.